• question-icon

What causes indigestion and severe chills while on Amoxicillin?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Very bad indigestion..taking omenprozole PlUS Rantidine and not helping. Two days ago had 2 hours of
severe chills and shaking. Sick all day (nausea) sunday. I ate some soup about 10 am sunday and threw
almost all of it up at about 7 at night. Digestion doesn't seem to be working. Had some severe pain in the pit of stomach last week. Thought it was Ulcer. Took some Amoxicillin for 3 days. Pain subsided now.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stomach flu.

Detailed Answer:
Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking your query on health care magic!

The problem which you are having is called gastroenteritis. Gastroenteritis is an intestinal infection marked by watery diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea or vomiting, and sometimes fever(CHILLS ARE SUGGESTIVE OF ONGOING INFECTION). An episode of gastroenteritis takes almost 7 to 10 days to settle down. Electral available over counter should be taken as much as possible to replenish the fluids and electrolytes lost in diarrhea or vomiting. The earlier the electrolytes are replenished,the faster would be recovery.Have a lot of orange juice,You can take banana or coconut water. Take light food and keep your body hydrated. Apart from that there's often no specific medical treatment for viral gastroenteritis. Antibiotics aren't effective against viruses, and overusing them can contribute to the development of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.Its self limiting and will settle down by itself in 5 to 7 days.

Advice
Stop amoxiciin(causes gastric upset).
Cap Racicadotryl twice daily(In case if loose motions start only on advice of gastroentrologist)
Tab Zofran 4mg twice daily for vomiting and nausea.
Take Calpol(paracetamol) sos for fever.
An antispasmodic like dicyclomine twice for spasmodic pain(if pain starts again).
Probiotic should be taken for 7 days to replenish the disturbed G.I flora.

Get a stool microscopy test done.As if infection is bacterial antibiotics would be given.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist