What causes indigestion after consuming soy products?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Eating, or drinking soy products results in GI upset for me. So the article on Soy suggests 25-50 mg isoflavones in the oral tablet or capsule form. Are the benefits from this way of taking soy, equivalent to 2-3 servings of soy products?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mixed results in studies

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your query.

You may either be having allergy to some component of soy milk or its a gastrointestinal infection.

Why do you want to take isoflavones? Is there any specific reason for it?

Soy contains many different types of isoflovanes. In general such ingredients provide benefit as long as they are taken. So the effect is mostly temporary. It is boasted to have beneficial effect on LDL type of cholesterol, bone health, menopausal symptoms, asthma, immunostimulation, improved kidney function, etc.

I searched through many medical research articles. I have not found any strong evidence of its beneficial effects in the above stated conditions. In one there is some evidence of immunostimulation and improvement of kidney function. Though even that effect may be temporary.

If I was in your situation I would use safer techniques like yoga, other exercises, vitamins etc for better health.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee