What causes indention and sore bump on forehead with hair loss?

Question
Hi, i am a 56 year old male and i have a terrible back and nerve issues in my leg and foot but, i woke up this afternoon with an indention at the top of my forehead. It is about one and one half inches and a large area into my hair..in fact, my hair is gone where the indention is. There is also, a very very small but, sore bump or pimple just to the left. The area is a little red in a circular shape into my hair area towards the side and mid range into my hair. What is going on? Can you help me please. Oh, i also spent a week this past week teaching Bible study at my church where there were a very large number of children present. If this helps any. Thanks so much for your time. David

Concerns this 1 1/2 inch indention that has suddenly showed on my forehead at hair line. It does go into my hair area. The hair fell into my sink this afternoon. There is about a 3 to 4 in. ara that is very painful to the touch. Burns to touch the area. I just spent a week teaching a study from the bible all this past week. There many children there. Started thinking i may have caught something from them..Please help. Thanks so much for your time!! XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alopecia areata...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting!

I have gone through your query and I understand your concerns.

According to all your symptoms, I think it might be alopecia areata. The cause of this condition is not known, and it is not contagious.

Its diagnosis is simple and is based on the symptoms and physical examination by your dermatologist.

However, a skin culture is needed in order to rule out tinea capitis, because it has similar symptoms to alopecia areata.

Alopecia areata is treated by corticosteroid injections or cream.

You should consult your dermatologist to determine the right diagnosis and treatment.

Feel free to ask for anything unclear.

Take care,
Dr. Behar.