What causes indentations on the back of neck?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I recently noticed several indentations on the back of my neck and back shoulder should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Will need a photo of them and some more information.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM to post your health query.

I would like to see the indentations if possible. Please kindly post a picture to our system.
Also, can you give me some more information...when you noticed them? Have they grown in size? Do you have others in your body, in parts like armpits, groin, neck, ect? Are they tender or moveable? When was the last time you have done a blood test? Any other information you can tell me?

All this would help me to give a more accurate answer.

Looking forward to your answer.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 24 minutes later
I have uploaded a picture. I just noticed today because its painful. I noticed three others that don't hurt.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible muscle wasting

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow-up question.

I saw carefully your pictures.
It looks like it is a muscle wasting/atrophy of the muscle trapezius, which is a muscle that is used a lot. Si it can be a muscle problem, a nerve problem and also a blood supply problem.

In order to determine the cause and the treatment, you will need a full neurological exam. So my recommendation would be for you to see a local doctor who will lead you.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you have other questions or need further clarifications.
Otherwise please kindly close and rate the answer.