Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

What causes indentation after pressing my finger on leg and will I die with a family history of heart failure?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6485 Questions
when I depress my finger on my shin area of either leg, it leaves an indentation, similar to as if pressing on a stick of butter, and it remains there for a while. My socks do the same thing. My father died at 45 of heart failure, though he was a binge drinker of alcohol most of his life. His father died at age 50 of the same thing, and also was a binge drinker, therefore I know heart disease runs in the family. I haven't had a drink in over 15 years, but the last time I had my cholesterol screened, it was in t he 250 range. I am 44 years old now and am concerned I am going to die in the near future as my father did. I almost quit smoking entirely, thanks to the electronic cigarettes, so I really am trying to better my health, and I am very active around the house, ride my bike, and walk the dogs as often as I can. Do I have a chance to live past 50?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You need complete check-up. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Probably you have edema in your lower limbs.Best area to confirm it is to press over malleolar process (bony prominence over ankle in medial side)for 30 seconds. You don't worry.You have long life and only need clinical examination and investigations. Edema(swelling) may be due to many reasons. Investigations include routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen,Thyroid profile,ECG in all leads.Further investigations can be done if needed. Your cholesterol level is borderline high.You should try to keep it below 200 mg/dl. You Blood pressure is also borderline high.You need regular monitoring. It is good that you don't take alcohol and have quit smoking.This is necessary for your good health. You should continue your physical activity.You are doing good.Don't stand for long periods. Take restricted amount of salt in your diet and take lot of vegetables and fruits.Don't take too much sugar. You should consult your physician and get the investigations done. Proper treatment depends upon clinical findings and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor