What causes increases thirst, weight loss, blurry vision and high blood sugar levels?
I am just wondering if there is anything else that these symptoms could be besides type 1.
I know when there is trauma to the body, it can produce glucose for energy/strength and result in high sugar levels, but his accident was 4 weeks ago. He has a broken collar bone and fractured skull, but is getting around ok (with difficulty and pain, but overall ok). He is not on any meds.
Sorry to learn about your son's bothersome symptoms.
He most likely has type 1 diabetes. Other possibilities include stress induced diabetes and another form of diabetes called diabetes insipidus. It is rare for both to be present together. He needs to go to the ER immediately. This is a medical emergency. Call 911. He will need to be hospitalized, starting with ICU care first.
The ER team will start insulin drip and safeguard his vital signs, while typically ordering the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:
CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average). Also known by other names such as GlycoHemoglobin or Glycated Hemoglobin or A1c
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid)
Free T4 (this too checks your thyroid) Thyroid autoantibodies : Anti Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibodies and Anti Thyroglobulin antibodies Urinalysis
X ray chest
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- High bilirubin levels what does it mean severe weight loss
- What are the causes of slow weight loss
- What is the cause of dizziness and rapid weight loss
- What causes abdominal discomfortbloating and weight loss with constipation
- Low blood cells cause weight loss
- What causes sudden weight loss and pain in neck
- What causes sudden weight loss with anxiety
- Persistent vomiting weight loss what could be the cause
- What causes weight loss in a new born baby
- What causes drastic weight loss