What causes increased yawning?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have been having a lot of yawning spells throughout the day and it's beginning to concern me. I normally yawn alot, but ive gotten to where im yawning more than usual. I haven't been in contact with any gases that i know of, and i have been having sinus congestion and stopped up nose that has been making it hard to breathe. I was wondering if i may have too much carbon dioxide in my system? or is it just from sleep deprivation?
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sleep deprivation can cause yawning

Detailed Answer:

I went through you query and can understand your concern regarding increased yawning.

Your increased yawning is most probably due to the fact that you are not able to sleep adequately at night. Insufficient sleep is the most common cause of yawning and is our brains way of telling us that we need to sleep a bit more to complete the body's need. Its is not due to excessive carbon dioxide in your body.

You having sinus congestion might have been interfering with your ability to sleep. You need to meet your physician and get it treated accordingly.

I do hope that I was able to answer your query. Please do let me know if you have any further queries. I will be glad to help.

Best wishes,

Dr. Sunil Gupta