What causes increased weight gain?

Endocrinologist
Question

I have a major concern on putting on weight. Since XXXXXXX I put on 8 kg of weight. My height - 155cm and weight - 71 kg. Can you please me to find out the reason why my weight is increasing also, can you please suggest any tests to find out to right solution. Also, I heard that there will tablets to burn Fat. Can I take that.

You can check for my reports which are uploaded in health care.

Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The thyroid tests.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have gone through your query.
I can understand your concern.

If you are active ,eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water, but you gain weight, i deduct that it can be a reason why you can't get back to your slimmer self.

If you were my patient,the first think that i will suggest you is to do the thyroid tests(TSH, fT3 and fT4).
Sometimes, for a variety of reasons, your thyroid may become under-active and result in a condition called hypothyroidism. One of the most common symptoms of this condition is weight gain.

Apart hypothyroidism,other causes that can cause your waight gain are:
-Dehydration.Not drinking enough water can cause us to eat excess calories that could lead to weight gain.
-You are always under stress or depressed and you’re taking medication to treat it.These drugs can cause weight gain
-You Overeat Healthy Foods.Unless it’s a fruit or a vegetable, don’t make the assumption that the healthy food you’re eating is low calorie.
-You don't take enough sleep.This can cause hunger and cravings.

I don't recommend to my overweight patients to take tablets that burn fat.I don't think this is the right path toward your ideal weight.

Here are my advices for you:
-Remove sugars and starches (carbs) from your diet.
-Drink water a half hour before meals
-Eat vegetables and proteins.A diet based on meat and vegetables contains all the fiber, vitamins and minerals you need to be healthy. There is no physiological need for grains in the diet.
-Choose weight loss-friendly foods
-Exercise 3-4 times a week
-Eat mostly whole, unprocessed foods.
-Eat your food slowly.
-Use smaller plates.
-Get a good night's sleep, every night. Poor sleep is one of the strongest risk factors for weight gain.

Hope this is helpful.
If you have other questions,feel free and ask.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes increased weight gain? 17 minutes later
Thank you so much for the details. TSH shows 6.94. I have controlled my and regularly doing exercises however there is no change. I am putting on 2kg in a month. I don sleep much as my work timings are like that and at times I feel stressed. April 2016 I was 58 and now 71. I tried all the things which you have mentioned but felt no use of it. At times I eat more food bcz i feel more appetite.

Pls suggest any alternative.

Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need thyroid hormone replacement therapy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.

Your TSH is high and this result means subclinical hypothyroidism.
But weigh gain can be attributed to your underactive thyroid gland.

At the other side,your sleep deprivation and eating more foods are other important elements that contribute to weight gain.

Your TSH is not too high but you have symptoms of hypothyroidism and for this reason in my opinion you need thyroid hormone replacement therapy or Levothyroxine.

This treatement(low dosis of Levothyroxine) will be helpful in your circumstances to stabilise your thyroid tests and boost your metabolism.

I suggest to consult a local endocrinologist and talk with him about the right treatement to normalise your thyroid situation and your weight.

Hope i have clarified all your doubts.
Wish you all the best.

Follow-up: What causes increased weight gain? 49 minutes later
Thank you So much, this helps.

Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome!.

Detailed Answer:
I' m glad i could help.
Let me know if you have other health problems in the future.
Wish you good health.