What causes increased weight gain while on Xanax and Hydrocortisone?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
62yo male. Excessive weight gain last 4 months after starting gym 3das weekly, gave up wine, eat low starch twice a day. I take 1/4 gr Xanax for sleep, and hydrocortisone. Gained 21 lbs in 4 months?
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hydrocortisone could be the reason for weight gain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking

I can understand your concern. You are on Xanax and Hydrocortisone. Xanax is used for sleep and if we consider weight gain then the drug is safe. Hydrocortisone is a steroid and is known to cause significant weight gain. This could be the one reason for your weight gain.

Exercise might resulted in change in metabolism and with steroids this resulted in weight gain.

Thanks and take care