What causes increased weight gain while on Latuda?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Yes, I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar 2. I am on the medication Latuda. I feel so much better but I have gained some weight which I am not thrilled about. I know Latuda has a side affect of weight gain. I am counting calories. I got on scale today and had gained 3 lbs. No granted I have had a few coke zero drinks and a few sweet treats. Should I stay away from sugar totally and just drink water or unsweet tea with truvia to try to minimize the weight gain or is Latuda too much of a factor and I will continue to gain weight no matter what I do.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Latuda is not known to cause weight gain as a side effect.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for using Health care magic for your health care concern.
* The drug Latuda .. given to you... does not have known side effect of weight gain...nor does it have any other factor contributing to weight gain,except probably for decrease in muscular activity.
* Regular increased intake of sweets or sweetened drinks can add to caloric intake &this along with lesser physucal activities can be cause of your recent weight gain...&in that case sweet restriction &increased exercise would control the weight.
* Still...considering your age ,
-I would think of post menopausal hormonal changes as a cause of weight gain.....fat deposition around abdomen & buttocks.,(mostly due to life style problems/genetic predisposition)
-I would suggest to get your glucose tollerance test done (to find/exclude diabetes).
- Hypothyroidism is also known to cause weight gain ..so ideally Thyroid function test should be done... to evaluate it to be cause of weight gain.
* In this concern,in my view you need to exclude diabetes or thyroid problem as a cause of your weight gain ,before you join the weight reduction prrogramme.
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj