• question-icon

What causes increased sleepiness and excessive sweating in a 48 year old?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: My son is sleeping Excessively but even after a 15-20 minute nap he wakes up drenched in sweat to the point where he said it looks like he's been swimming and lay down wet. He also awakes very thirsty. He's 48.
He's not on drugs.
My email is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Metabolic and cardiac causes should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking

He is 48 years old and have increased sleepiness. He is waking up during sleep with increased sweating. If he is overweight then a sleep study is advised to rule out any sleep apnoea. Sleep apnoea during sleep results in sudden cessation of respiration and then sudden awakening with sweating sometimes.

Other possibility that should be ruled out is some thyroid and metabolic disturbance. Get his thyroid function tests done to rule out hyperthyroidism and also blood sugar levels to rule out diabetes.

Any cardiac cause should be ruled out. ECG can be done to rule out any chances of arrhythmias.

If everything comes normal then possible reason is some anxiety and this is resulting in awakening in night.

So please find an appointment from a doctor and discuss about these possibilities.

Thanks and Take care
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 hours later
He's not awakening in the night. He's sleeping deeply too many hours and it includes massive amounts of sweating. He even saw salt lines on the sheets.
He also is not overweight. He's underweight.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
First thing is to rule out hyperthyroidism.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

If he is sweating profusely then in that case first thing is to check his thyroid function tests. T3, T4 and TSH should be checked. Hyperthyroidism is a common cause of such presentation.

His blood sugar should also be checked to rule out reduced sugar levels which could also result in excessive sweating.

Another possibility is some adrenal gland issue. But that is rare and should be evaluated by a surgeon once other causes have been ruled out.

Thanks and Take care
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist