What causes increased shoulder pain while lifting heavy objects?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have shoulder pain and limited movement. Don't recall injuring it but have been doing some moving of boxes etc. When I lift my arm or reach side to side, I have intense pain. could it be rotator cuff?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bursitis more likely

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You have been doing some extra heavy lifting and this week you noticed increased shoulder pain. This is more than likely bursitis or inflammation of the tissues around the shoulder from over work and stress. A rotator cuff tear would be from a sudden direct trauma to the shoulder like throwing a ball or landing on the shoulder in an awkward position. There has to be some sudden force that would tear the tendons. In your case from your description there was no sudden onset more of a gradual onset after heavy lifting.

The treatment at this time would be rest and use of an anti-inflammatory like naprosyn for 7-14 days. If that does not help then possible steroid injection.

I hope this answers you question. Please contact us again if you have any further questions