What causes increased sensitivity to smell?
we wash our hands with a neutral and oat soap, for washing clothes we use Avveno hair schampoo,and other Aveno products,body wash,hair schampoo,face cream etc
but my husband is still edgy, especially in the evening,what else can we do,tks RH
Consult an ENT spec to look for organic cause.
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
Increased sensitivity to smell can be due to dysfunction of smell organs. The smell organs include the smell receptors in nose, the nerves carrying the smell sensations to brain, smell or olfactory area in brain and the nerves carrying them back. Dysfunction of any of the above mentioned links can lead to altered sensations.
The other cause for the altered sensation could be psychological or they could be hallucinations.
Sometimes smell sensitivity presents with associated nasal and oral symptoms which helps us arrive at a diagnosis. In the absence of associated complaints, I am unable to come to a diagnosis. Therefore a visit to ENT specialist is recommended. Complete examination and tests to assess the smell organs is required.
However, if no organic cause is found to these symptoms, I would suggest you to consult a psychiatrist.
If you have more queries, will be glad t answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes sensitivity on torso
- Sensitivity to smell causes
- What causes increased discharge
- What causes increase sense of smell with headache
- What is the cause of sensitive vagina
- Increased sense of smell causes
- What causes sensitive clitoris
- What causes triglycerides to increase
- What causes crp to increase
- What are some causes of increased sensitivity to feeling cold
- Getting dark and semi solid bowel movement in winter. What treatment is...
- Have movable lump under armpit. What could it be?
- Had sex while on period. Now getting stomach cramp. Any STD?
- Diabetic. Having pain and tingling sensation in arm. How to get relief?
- Presence of loose bodies in the knee joint. How to treat this problem?
- Stroke patient. Noticed swelling in mouth roof and pain in arm. Any ideas?
- Have food and drug allergies, low BP, headache and fluid discharge from...
- Have burning and itchy rash on toe with stiff ankle. Is this normal?
- Developed painless lesions on lower leg. Should I be concerned?
- Child having cough with fever and started vomiting. Suggest some...