What causes increased pressure and pain in ear?

Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: On Tuesday I had some discomfort start in my right ear that quickly progressed to increased pressure and pain during the night. I got a head cold on the Saturday so thought I had also got an ear infection and went to a doctor on Wednesday morning. The doctor couldn't see any redness and my ear seemed more painful around the lobe area so he said it was more likely an outer ear problem. I was prescribed locarten ear drops and capsule antibiotics. After a few doses I noticed my hearing becoming fuzzy and the next morning it sounded like people talking from far away in that ear. Later that night I developed tinnitus in that ear and it has become quite loud. It's now three days since starting the drops and I was wondering if they may be a cause of the tinnitus? Should I continue taking them for the whole week as instructed and the tinnitus will go away once the infection has cleared?
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
seems to be eusthacian tube dysfunction

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having tinnitus per ear.

Based on your clinical details, it appears to be eusthacian tube dysfunction (tube connecting the middle ear and nose) secondary to cold. I prefer to treat this condition with antihistamine, decongestants and valsalva manoevre. Accordingly, my suggestion is that:

1. Stop locarten ear drops and start oral anitihistamines CETIRIZINE 10mg once daily with decongesent nasal drops (xylometazoline) three drops 3 times daily for 1 week.
2. Do valsalva manoere ( watch youtube video ), chew chewing gum for normal functioning of the eusthacian tube.
3. Stop consuming freezer products (curd/ice cream).
4. Avoid water entering into the ear (plug them with dry cotton during bath).

I think you will feel better with this treatment.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad