Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

What causes increased mucus production in COPD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15219 Questions
3 years ago my doctor told me I had early onset of COPD. at the time I had a bad chest cold and was having trouble breathing. after a round of antibiotics and a prescription of proair hfa I got better but I still have symptoms. I used a total of 3 rescue inhalers over the past 3 years only using it when I was feeling short of breath after physical activity. I've read up on the symptoms of copd and my question is my lungs seem to produce and abnormal amount of mucus and when I feel short of breath if I cough up an amount of mucus my breathing gets easier. is it possible that I may have adult asthma since I don't see excessive mucus production as a symptom of COPD but it is of asthma? I also have a brother with asthma.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
excess coughing and mucus production occur in COPD-chronic bronchitis

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

COPD consist of a combination of chronic bronchitis and emphysema or in some persons, mainly one of these may be present.

Chronic bronchitis refers to the presence of a persistent cough for at least 3 months of a year for 2 years a row. 3 months of one year, 3 months of the previous year. This cough is productive of mucus.

This means that a productive mucus cough for at least 3 months is one of the symptoms/signs of chronic bronchitis, which is a condition of/part of-COPD.

Reliever inhalers are used in COPD as well, there are also other types of inhalers that can be used as well.

You may want to consider re assessment by your doctor or by a pulmonologist (a doctor specializing in the lungs).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor