What causes increased mucus production in COPD?

Question
3 years ago my doctor told me I had early onset of COPD. at the time I had a bad chest cold and was having trouble breathing. after a round of antibiotics and a prescription of proair hfa I got better but I still have symptoms. I used a total of 3 rescue inhalers over the past 3 years only using it when I was feeling short of breath after physical activity. I've read up on the symptoms of copd and my question is my lungs seem to produce and abnormal amount of mucus and when I feel short of breath if I cough up an amount of mucus my breathing gets easier. is it possible that I may have adult asthma since I don't see excessive mucus production as a symptom of COPD but it is of asthma? I also have a brother with asthma.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
excess coughing and mucus production occur in COPD-chronic bronchitis

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

COPD consist of a combination of chronic bronchitis and emphysema or in some persons, mainly one of these may be present.

Chronic bronchitis refers to the presence of a persistent cough for at least 3 months of a year for 2 years a row. 3 months of one year, 3 months of the previous year. This cough is productive of mucus.

This means that a productive mucus cough for at least 3 months is one of the symptoms/signs of chronic bronchitis, which is a condition of/part of-COPD.

Reliever inhalers are used in COPD as well, there are also other types of inhalers that can be used as well.

You may want to consider re assessment by your doctor or by a pulmonologist (a doctor specializing in the lungs).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions