What causes increased hemoglobin mass while on testosterone therapy?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can testosterone injections result in high red blood count ? 17.2 level
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, this is a common side effect!

Detailed Answer:
HI,

Increased hemoglobin mass is a well known side effect of testosterone. If this is coupled with sleep apnea, both conditions are prone to cause increased red cell mass. Sleep apnea does so becaue the body perceives poor oxygen supply and stimulates the cells producing red cells to produce more though the main problem is the sleep apnea and not shortage of red cells.

I hope this answers your query fully. I wish you well and always available for more exchanges is need be.

Kind regards!