What causes increased heart rate, left atrial enlargement, and coronary vessel aneurysm in a teenager?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi My daughter is 13 years old .
last week she had fever and we went to urgent care .they told that she has simple fever but she had heart rate of 130 .they asked us to go home and told that this is due to fever.
next day her heart rate was still high so we went into umass emergency where they took EKG and suggested that heart rate was due to dehydration.
she went to school and we got call from school nurse that she has rash on lower side .we took her to her PCP againm she told that it is due to weather she also talked hear specialist where they told to go to heart hospital .we went today there and doctor did some scaning and told us the folloiing abormalties ..

Left atrial enlargement

Aneurysm of coronary vessels

he asked us that nothing is serious and asked to check after 4 months..
we are getting confused here ..can we get some directions here.
My daughter is completely fine now .she does not have any symtomps at all.
and
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Need some details.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern.

I would like to tell you that all this was most likely the result of a viral illness which has transiently affected her heart but as the viral illness recovered things got improved.

As she is fine now there is no need to worry for now. If you have the ECG and Echo report kindly upload them for review.

However a repeat ECG and Echocardiography should be carried out after 3 months to make sure there is no residual effect left behind from the illness.

I hope this information will relieve your worries.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana