What causes increased heart rate during physical activity?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: About 30 years ago I was told that the blood only goes around one side of my heart and that someday I would need a pacemaker. My EKGs always come back showing this but no other doctor has mentioned it since that one occasion. I am now 73 and I have been fine. Sometimes though if I try to lift something over 20 or 25 lbs I have a faster heartbeat lasting for a few seconds and this concerns me so I try not to lift anything very heavy. Should I be concerned about helping someone who weighs almost 200 lbs, is 82 years old, and is going to have a hip replacement and wants me to take care of them after the surgery. I am concerned about the weight on me if he needs assistance getting in and out of bed or leaning on me while trying to walk. His doctor said that he will only be in the hospital overnight.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern I would explain that it is quite normal to have an increase in your heart rate during physical activity.

It does not indicate any serious cardiac disorder.

So, I think it is OK for you to care about somebody during a night, as long as you don't have chest pain.

Nevertheless, considering your past medical history,I would recommend you to consult with your attending physician and have a complete check up in order to examine better your cardiac function:

- a cardiac ultrasound
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to examine your heart rhythm trends during a prolonged period of time
- some blood lab tests ( complete blood count for anemia, thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction, blood electrolytes for possible imbalance).

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri