What causes increased heart rate and irregular beats post intake of Cocaine?
Symptoms after many hours are less likely due to the drug.
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Cocaine can cause increase in heart rate and irregular beats. But these occur within an hour in most cases and the slight increase in heart rate is less likely to be due to an adverse reaction. It can also produce anxiety and panic .
If he has the symptoms today after using the drug yesterday, it is more likely to be due to anxiety and he should relax.
If he does not and if there are irregular heart beats, he may require to be seen by a doctor.
Inderal would help
His increased heart rate is due to increased sympathetic nervous system activity. This can be toned down with small dose of Inderal like 10mg twice a day if he does not have asthma. Eating healthy wholesome food, exercising 30 minutes a day, practicing yoga or relaxation techniques would help him relax
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Increased heart rate post concussion
- What could be the cause of increased heart rate
- Increased heart rate causes
- What can cause increased heart rate while climbing stairs
- What causes increased heart rate and palpitations
- Std that causes increased heart rate
- What causes anxiety with increased heart rate
- What std increases heart rate
- What causes increased heart rates while on inderal
- What could cause increased heart rate in the night