• question-icon

What causes increased heart rate and chest pain?

Posted on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello.

I am a 33 year old male, overweight, smoker.

About 2 months, I went into the ER because of a racing heart that didn't slow down for over 2 hours, and some chest pain. EKG, blood work, chest x-ray all came back clean. I chocked it up to being a panic attack, and made an appointment with my primary care to see about medication for anxiety.

I was put on escitalopram, and had set up a follow-up appointment after roughly a month. At the follow-up, my blood pressure had increased significantly, so she put me on metropolol. After a week of feeling miserable on that, I found myself in the ER again, chest discomfort and feeling of dread. Once again, EKG and blood work, and they again came back clean.

At the advice of my primary, I went off the metropolol, and had another blood pressure check a few days after. BP was slightly high, but not problematic. Side effects of escitalopram were, however, becoming unbearable, so I ceased taking that as well.

Flash forward to now. I have found an l-theanine supplement that works wonderfully for my concious anxiety, but I still regularly have a mild strange sensation in my chest. Resting pulse usually around 80, which is normal for me. 90-95 after caffeine. Don't know what's causing chest sensation, though. Wondering if I should be worried.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the entire details. The chest sensations are possibly simple parasthesias and are not a cause for concern. I would insist you to try and relax. Regular exercise and deep breathing exercises should help.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 20 hours later
Would that just be symptomatic of anxiety, or what would cause parastesias?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety symptoms mentioned

Detailed Answer:
Anxiety is a state of mind which lands the body is unnecessary stress. Things go wrong in a stressful situation and such changes need not follow a definite and predicable course. Hence, presentations or symptoms of anxiety can be hard to pinpoint.

It depends on the type of anxiety disorder, but general symptoms include:

Feelings of panic, fear, and uneasiness
Problems sleeping
Cold or sweaty hands or feet
Shortness of breath
Heart palpitations
Not being able to be still and calm
Dry mouth
Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
Nausea
Muscle tension
Dizziness

As already mentioned, parasthesias can be a symptom of anxiety.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha