What causes increased heart rate after having coffee?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I have been off caffine for two months to help my anxiety. I noticed it helped. This morning i was out so i drank reg coffee. My pulse rate went to 120! My bp was 115/75
I rest ahead and ran some errands and when i got back it was back in the 90's. Which mine has always run between 80 and 90. Ive noticed my bp runs lower off caffine. I take xanax for panic attacks. Im 58 years old and weigh 125 . Do u think the caffine caused this since ive been off for two months?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
caffiene side effects and with drawl symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

Welcome to health care magic!

I am Dr. Saddiq Ul Abidin. I have read your problem in detail and will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all it is sad to know that you had to undergo this, but at the same time it would be unfair to say that the way you have understood n tried to tackle your issues is indeed commendable. All such efforts indicate deep level of commitment and care for your personal health.

Your concern is much appropriate. I don't want to load you with boring medical knowledge and mechanisms of actions but just to mention briefly, we need to understand one thing and that is, that caffiene acts by blocking the inhibitory neurotransmitter adenosine and causes stimulant effects on our nervous system but on the other hand it is directly associated with stimulation of cardiac muscles and also responsible for anxiety symptoms which further aggravate the cardiac activity, so all in all, this triggers a vicious circle leading to increased heart rate. The worst part being the dependancy and leaving caffiene after prolong use, leading to withdrawl symtoms.

I would personally recommend you that since you had been over the tough part, that is leaving caffiene for good and now it has been going well for two months so you can follow the same easily now, as leaving every habbit is trouble some for a brief period and later individual gets used to it. Meanwhile you can continue your anxiety medicine. For further reassurance you can have an EKG and exercise tolerance test to see for an irrigularity in the heart rythm. Meanwhile you can also use beta blocker for keeping heart rate in check of any respiratory distress is not there.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. kindly rate me before closing, and leave your feedback if possible.

Dr. Saddiq Ul abidin.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 16 minutes later
So in short u think the caffine could have caused the spike in my pulse? I was not short of breath or anything. Sorry for more questions but as i said i am high anxiety
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
closing remarks

Detailed Answer:
Yup exactly. Apparently it seems so, as it is a recognized side effect of caffiene and like I said refraining from its usage or using beta blockers after discussing with cardiologist may work for increased heart rates. For anxiety keep using the medicines and follow your psychiatrist after a month or two, to reconfirm for continuation or stopping the medicine.
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 13 minutes later
I dont think i need a beta blocker as long as i keep off caffine. As long as i keep my pulse at normal range.... I dont like to take meds at all. I mean 120 was high but it came down and i felt fine... Do u agree?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
use of beta blocker

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Yes, it is indeed a very good habit to stay off meds as much as you can. One incidence if increased pulse doesn't call for any emergent need if beta blockers and can be monitored for the coming months but for reassurance you can have EKG and ETT.

As long as you are asymptomatic with precautions to caffiene, you can keep up with out using beta blockers.

If you have any further query, you can keep in touch via my profile in direct questions. Wishing you a good health and keep up the good work up. Spare sometime to rate me generously, as that would be a source of encouragement. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar