What causes increased drying and cracking of scrotum?

Posted on Thu, 25 Feb 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Recently my genital has been very dry, especially around my ball sac, the skin get to be dry and cracks appear in between the dry skin . When I get real dry I start to scratch and I develop raw spots on my genitals and this start itching and I scratch more. Also I notice that when my balls are super dry I have moisture on the sides of my groin area. Sometimes when my sac gets real dry my skin can be flaky and dry.
Pkease help
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergy

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You ave noticed increased drying and cracking of your scrotum. This should like you have eczema or an allergic skin reaction. The most probable cause is the detergents, fabric softeners or soaps you have been using. I recommend when washing your under garments that you use a hypoallergenic detergent and not to use a fabric softener. Fabric softeners are frequently very allergenic. Also change your soap to something mild like dove.

For the immediate treatment I recommend using hydrocortisone cream. An ointment would be better but they are not available over the counter. Apply the steroid cream twice daily until the skin returns to normal then use it every other day or just when needed.

In summary
1. eczema or allergic reaction
2. stop detergent, fabric softener and soaps
3. Use hypoallergenic detergent and soap
4 do not use fabric softeners
5. hydrocortisone or other steroid cream or ointments

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Dr. Ronald Schubert