What causes increased blood pressure despite taking medication?

Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am currently taking amiodarone and apixaban. I do have a history of high bp. Not currently taking them as per my dr. BP is extremely high. 154/95 constantly throughout the day. Can I take my micardis plus BP pills while taking the other two above.
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, adding anti-hypertensive therapy

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs. XXXX! Thank you for your question and welcome to Health Care Magic. I carefully read your query.

The aim is to keep the blood pressure figures under 140/90 mmHg, in under 55-years old ladies, with no co-morbidities. This is because it is known that constant and long-standing figures above these, cause damage to the arteries in end-organs. No matter that you already are on amiodarone (antiarrhythmic) and apixaban ("blood thinner"), I am assuming for atrial fibrillation episodes, you can safely and effectively add telmisartan/hydrochlorthiazid (micardis plus) to your therapy, aiming to control your blood pressure. I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure figures after adding the therapy, by randomly measuring your blood pressure in the first 5-7 days. My opinion is that no other measures should be undertaken at this moment.

I hope I was helpful with my answer. Wish you a good health. I would be happy to help, if you have further questions. Please rate my answer, if you do not.

My best regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T