• question-icon

What causes increase in temperature in the head after sun exposure?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I get hot head when temp get around 90. Rest of body not that bad. Feels like a steam pot ready to blow out the top of my head...Headaches next and ears feel like they are sunburnt.....Thanking you in advance, XXXX I'am 75 years of age on losarton, fluxotine, allergy pill and magnisum 1000mg and vitamin D 200mg
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms generally come from dehydration and high-temperature exposure.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read your question carefully and I can understand your concern.

It is normal to have those symptoms when the temperatures are that high. Those symptoms can be more serious in people who do not sweat very much because that means that the body has the difficulty of adjusting the body temperature with that of the environment.

My recommendation is that you try to avoid the sun exposure and those temperatures as much as possible. Try to stay inside during the peak hours when the temperature is high.

Wear a hat so you can avoid direct contact of the head with the sun.
Drink a lot of fluids during the day and keep a bottle of water always with you.
For the headache, you are describing you can take a mild painkiller like Ibuprofen or Tylenol. The cause is most probably dehydration.

Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

If worse or not better despite following these, I would recommend seeing a physician for a thorough check-up.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Klarida Papaqako