What causes increase in calcium level in blood?

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am a 62 year old female. For the last 3 years, my calcium level has been high - 10.8, 10.6, 10.4. I finally had my PTH level tested and it was 29 with the calcium being 10.4. Most Recently my calcium level was 10.2 and the PTH was 32. My ionized calcium level 5.7, low Vitamin D (27). So the calcium level went down but the PTH went up. I have osteopenia. My urine calcium is 277.7. I am seeing an endocrinologist. My mother had hyperparathyroid disease. I have not felt well at all for the past 6 months and have a lot of symptoms of parathyroid disease (fatigue, bouts of anxiety, depression, body ache, insomnia). I feel that something is just not right. The endo doctor feels that my levels are not that high and is monitoring me. I see him again next week and I want to know if I should ask to have a sestimibi scan, or if there is some other way to determine whether I have a parathyroid problem.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
sestamibi scan performed to localize parathyroid adenoma

Detailed Answer:
Hello

My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. If patient has a benign tumor(adenoma) of parathyroid gland then "Sestamibi scan" is used to localize the tumor. So that after localization surgeon can use minimally invasive procedure to resect the tumor. Normal Serum PTH
level ranges from 10 to 65. As you have a family history of hyperparathyroidism and there are symptoms as well BUT these should not make you stressful. Stress & anxiety are two things that almost always aggravates a problem.I would suggest you to relax and let your consultant follow the protocol to reach a conclusion. meanwhile you can take second opinion by getting an appointment for another "consultant endocrinologist". In this way you can get two opinions and that will help you in deciding.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!