What causes increase in blood pressure level?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello,

My mother, aged 56 years, has been taking the Revelol x50 for the past five days. She checked her blood pressure jsut a while back, and finds it to be 178/98 as opposed to the normal of 120/80. She has been taking daily pills for pressure since a number of years now, and her normal pressure hovers around 140-160/80 generally. She has a history of high blood pressure. She has also been suffering from severe headache the past 4-5 hours. She was asked to take only one Revelol x-50 per day, as opposed to two she was taking till last week. Should she take a pill now to reduce her pressure/headache? What should our options be now?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
insufficient dose resulted this trouble

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Your mother has been suffering from hypertension and the reason of this recent sure is reduction of the dose . revelol has 5 mg amlodipine and 50 mg Metoprolol. Dosages of which are 10 and 100 respectively. They are started at these 5 and 50 dosage combination but increase gradually 2.5 and 25 mg respectively to finally meet 10 and 100 mg.so that makes two tablets a day.
Headaches are because of hypertensive surge. Will resolve with blood pressure reduction.remember medicines just help main players are diet and lifestyle modifications. Exercise and salt restrictions are main players. Also lowering lipids and losing weight. Seek an AHA website guidelines for further guidance.
Get to ER now for immediate BP lowering using intravenous approach to prevent any damage like stroke and careful next time.
Kick the doctor in the nuts for me who lowered the dose and resulted all this chaos.
I hope it helps. Take good care of your mother and yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX