What causes incomplete bowel movements and vomiting with normal gastric emptying study?
Following causes&information required...
I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.
1. If the emptying study was normal, then, I do not think your symptoms are related to gastroparesis.
2. You are saying that you had frequent trips to ER with nausea and vomiting attacks. At this point, I'd like to ask if the attacks you had were after consuming certain foods? Food poisoning is to be excluded first.
3. I want to also know if you had any upper endoscopy. Gastritis/duodenitis should be also ruled out.
4. Any abdominal ultrasound so far? Gallbladder issues (sludge, inflammation) should be also considered.
5. Your psychological status plays also an important role and might trigger such problems.
6. At the end, have you measured your blood sugar levels so far? Diabetes is a possible cause to gastroparesis and all symptoms you are having.
Looking forward to have the requested information in.
This has been going on for YEARS. Not an isolated instance. ER visits several times a year. More recently, every 2 months. This current "episode" lasted a couple weeks. Now stomach is functioning again, but not without lots of discomfort.
Chronically constipated as a child.
Definitely have "mixed IBS"... since about 11 years old, often with "dumping syndrome" & severe nausea & vomiting. Had this for so many years that I have learned to control the vomiting most times.
They tell me I'm diabetic (pre-diabetic?), but when I eat right, my sugars are in normal range. If I don't eat right, sugars may go up into high 100's, but RARELY (almost never) 200 or more. A1C always below 7.
Gall bladder removed in 1983.
Wonder about possibility of HAE. I have a lot of itching and occasional swelling of ankles, bloating of upper and/or lower abdomen. When my hands and fingers itch, I rub my fingers together to try to stop it, and my fingers and hands swell up. Itching is anywhere... legs, feet, hands, arms, trunk... usually no hives or rash. Sometimes when arms or legs itch and I rub them, I break out in big bruises, looking as though someone beat me. This happened much more often when I was younger, say between 20 and 50. (Now I'm 66).
Definitely have GERD, and nightly dose of 40mg of Nexium keeps that pretty well controlled. Omeprazole alone doesn't work nearly as well as Nexium, but affordability is a problem.
Stenosis of pylori;medications;neurological issues to rule out
Thank you for providing additional information. Based on your description, I can say as following:
1. You are saying to vomit even small amounts of liquids after 1 day. One possible cause might be stenosis (narrowing) of the pylori. At this point, I'd advise to:
- repeat upper endoscopy
- or run capsulated endoscopy
- ct-scan of abdomen
to rule it out.
2. Next, besides taking nexium, may I know any other medication you take on regular basis? Or just occasionally especially when you're having itchy fingers?
Other medications you might take can also be a possible cause to your actual GI problems.
3. If no organic issue will be noted after all these examinations, then, neurological issues should be considered and ruled out by neurologist.
Hope it was of help!
I KNOW if the gastric emptying test had been done a week earlier, it would NOT have been normal! NOTHING was moving thru the stomach, but coming back up, even hours later! However, stomach had begun functioning again by time test was performed. My nurse friend says her mother had gastroparesis for years, and it was intermittent, like my symptoms. I am gathering that if it is not consistent/constant/unchanging, doctors now don't consider it gastroparesis.
Nothing I have read about seems clear cut and curable... only "treatable". All I want is treatment that will keep me from being SO sick, SO often, for SO long. And I'd very much like to be able to eat without feeling sick, or bloated, etc.
I have an upper endoscopy scheduled, but not until XXXXXXX 25. I will be calling my doctor's office to try to get that moved up via a cancellation or something. They tell me next step after that will be the "smart pill" (capsulated endoscopy) to see remainder of small intestine.
I guess I am in wait and see mode right now, while I struggle to eat and remain comfortable in the process. Not working very well right now.
I appreciate your taking a look at my situation/symptoms/history. I am baffled. I wouldn't even mind being baffled if I were just under some consistent treatment that would help on a long-term basis.
Can wait until XXXXXXX 25 for endoscopy...
1. You might have neurological problems related to multiple organs. And this should be further evaluated. We cannot judge without a deep neurological examination. Please bare in mind that we are talking about organic neurological issues and not of psychological pattern.
2. Once again, I do not think your symptoms are due to gastroparesis. I still insist to rule out stenosis of pylori.
3. Ok, you can have your endoscopy on XXXXXXX 25, unless, your symptoms will get worse.
4. With regards to long-term treatment:
- should rule out stenosis of pylori first
- eat often and small portions
- do not rush while chewing up
- avoid laying down immediately after eating
- try to be more physically active
These can help you for the moment; other specific treatment will be described after having your endoscopy report.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Tests for incomplete bowel movement
- Sticky incomplete bowel movement
- Endometriosis incomplete bowel movements
- Gastric emptying study pregnancy
- Feeling incomplete bowel movement
- Pain after gastric emptying study
- Pregnancy risks and gastric emptying study
- Incomplete bowel movements and cipralex
- Gastric emptying study cost
- Incomplete bowel movements flatulence could you help
- Have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome due to mild lupus. Have...
- Had sinus infection and prescribed with amox clav. Recommended to have...
- Using anti wrinkle cream with Retinol. Lips peeling and crackling....
- What causes feeling of foul taste coming from stomach when i burp?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain and vomiting post hip surgery
- Is it normal to have spillage from fistulectomy wound?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain
- What causes dark stools and itchy anus?
- What causes burning in the upper part of throat?
- What does elevated CA level indicate?