What causes incomplete bowel movements after an anoxic brain injury?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My daughter had an anoxic brain injury 25 years ago she is now 40. for the last 6 months she has had difficulty with her bowels. they are now sluggish and she has only small to medium size bowel movements. she has been on Linzell for the last 3 weeks with less than fair results. her bowels tend to be soft and she seems unable to push it through. Lately, she does not seem to have the urge to push.
can probiotics help with this
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
sluggish large intestine movement

Detailed Answer:

If your daughter is bed-ridden or having less daily routine activity with more of sedentary lifestyle then probiotic will help but slowly.

If this is situation then this is due to sluggish movement of her large intestine secondary to sedentary lifestyle and this sometimes cause collection of stool inside large intestine. This require enema or stimulant suppository for quick action.

Once she pass this collected hard stool then regular use of stool softener or laxative will help her.

Hope I answered, your query. If you have any further doubts, I would be happy to help you.
Have a good day!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee