What causes immune thrombocytopenic purpura?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Dear Doctor, Could you please answer the following 3 questions? (1) Is immune thrombocytopaenia (ITP) capable of turning into an acute transformation (in the sense of becoming a terminal condition)? (2) I understand that ITP can have various causes. However, is it possible for an infection to cause ITP with a PLT count as low as 10 (if the WCC is also above the normal reference range)? (3) Does overlap myeloproliferative/myelodysplactic disorder cause a low PLT?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. ITP is a relapsing remitting illness

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.

ITP in adult patients is a relapsing remitting illness.
ITP in the later stage can be refractory to the therapy and at that time platelet counts may not rise thus putting a patient at risk of bleeding and infections.

Infections usually are seen in children prior to the onset of ITP but again a link between infections and ITP is very difficult to establish. In adults infections are usually not seen as a precipitating cause.

Yes overlap myeloproliferative and myelodysplastic disorders can cause low platelet as ITP may set on the background of mds/mpn.

Hope it solves your queries .
feel free to ask further.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 11 hours later
Dear Doctor Sundriyal, Thank you for the very helpful information. You mentioned that ITP can be refractory and could put the patient at risk of bleeding and infection. However, am I correct in inferring from what you said that ITP itself cannot change into an acute transformation?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. I dont think anything will happen acutely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. In my pactice i have not seen anything happening acutely in a primary ITP case. WHatever happens, only after a certain period of time when all treatment fails and patient do not responds.
Hope it is clear to you.
You can ask further queries.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D