What causes immediate vomiting after swallowing food?

Posted on Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: One of my Sister's kid is suffering from Pancrea related problem and Paediatricain suggested to go to nearest metro and consult doctor(Which is Bangalore) and hence we are looking for opinion. Current Problem: Whenever he swallows the food and liquid(except water), small portion of swallowed food vomits immediately. Please note it's last one bite or little bit of food vomits. Also he is playing and doing all regular things. His age is 14 Year and weight is 26KG. History: #1 He was reported as having Kidney related problem (under Ultrasonography of abdomen) * Left renal tiny calculus. * Left mild Hydroureteronephrosis. This test was done in Nov-2012. Getting treated with tablets. Then in August-2013, same test came with " Left renal tiny Calculus" He was having sever pain in abdomen at that time & vomit immediately all things swallowed & and got admitted (Dr. M) and they diagnosed as "Hepatitis A" with renal tiny calculus. After diagnosing this and treating it didn't help. Then Dr M suggested to go General Paediatrican(Dr S). Dr.S did multiple tests and he found following in tests(Oct 2nd 2013): S. Amylase : 109.9 IU/L ( normal range: 0-80 IU/L) S. Lipase: 36.8 (0-60 IU/L) Dr.S diagnosed this as Gastritis ( & Acute Pancreatitis) and treated and he was fine on Oct 7th 2013. Dr.S continued the Pankreoflat from Oct 7th 2013 till now( 2 times half tab). Between 7th Oct 2013 and 19th Feb 2014 ( 4 months ) not having any issues but he was eating all regular things and mostly some oliy items also(not sure on this). Now again he is showing symptom of just vomiting of little things after swallowing food immediately, But abdominal pain is not there but if we press at left on stomach area he says pain is there. Please let us know what we should do? Is this curable? Which doctor specialist is good to treat this( I assume gatroentologist). What is your opinion as we don't want this go in advance stage and if possible get treated. PLEASE HELP.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: An admission may be required; ped + gastro Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us and for the detailed explanation. Please understand that is close to impossible to predict the diagnosis and cause for his symptoms right now, but I would suspect either a pancreatic abnormality or one to do with the gastrointestinal tract (GIT). Such conditions require the attention of both a pediatrician and a gastroenterologist. So please consult a pediatrician first, who will examine your son and make the provisional diagnosis and accordingly refer you to a gastroenterologist. The investigations that are required right now are: -An ultrasound examination of the abdomen and pelvis -Elaborate blood work to check on the functioning of all abdominal organs -And possibly even an endoscopy as your sisters son finds it easy to take in fluids, but is not able to take in solids. Also, his weight is very less for his age, I am worried about a severe nutritional deficiency, as this would put serious strain on vital organs like the heart, etc. An admission may be the best option as of now, so please also prepare for this. But make sure you take him to a multi-specialty hospital which would have both a pediatrician and a gastroenterologist available at all times. I hope and pray we can soon establish a diagnosis and nurse your nephew to good health. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 hours later
Thanks Shoaib. We are going to Apollo today to meet Dr XXXXXXX and I will take print out of this, as I find interesting points from you.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Please do so sir Detailed Answer: Hello once again. Please do keep me updated and do not hesitate to write to me about any further clarifications, I am always available to help. Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan