Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

What causes imbalance when suffering from vertigo?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
I feel off balance after my vertigo spell of 9 weeks ago.. I can walk straight, hold my balance well but my head feels like it sways inside.. Hard to explain... When I move my arms I feel like my whole body sways... Dr thinks I might have had an inner ear virus and that there are still little crystal floating around that will eventually go away... Suggestions? Also when I am standing, not sure if it's me doing but my heels raise up and down.. As if I am doing calf exercises... And my neck feels heavy or stiff can't tell..
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: FOLLOWS. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that whatever your doctor is saying is right and both the possibilities exist of the inner ear infection and persistance of crystals . But still two more things that I would like to be excluded are Cerebellar dysfunction which can exactly present as you are giving history . Second less likely but a cervical spine dysfunction . For the latter physical examination can help in making a diagnosis and you are undergoing MRI neck as well . if your doctor aggrees , then brain imaging also needs to be done. Take care. Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes imbalance when suffering from vertigo? 16 minutes later
will the mri show cerebellar dysfunction.. mri of brain was unremarkable.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , If your MRI Brain was normal then the likelihood of cerebellar dysfunction is low . In that case your treating doctor has already excluded all the possible conditions and he is guiding you right . kindly follow his advise. Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor