• question-icon

What causes imbalance, loss of sensation and muscle weakness in the legs?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Having more and more problems maintaining my balance, Also, both legs seem to be losing feeling between from just below the knee to the upper thigh.
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral Neuropathy or Dorsal Myelopathy to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthCareMagic, I am Dr.J XXXXXXX Anto Bruno Mascarenhas. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

Your Complaints are --
1. Having more and more problems maintaining my balance,
2. Also, both legs seem to be losing feeling between from just below the knee to the upper thigh.

This is likely to be due to--
1. Peripheral Neuropathy
2. Dorsal Myelopathy

For this, You need to undergo--
1. Clinical Examination
2. Nerve Conduction Studies
3. MRI Whole Spine
4. CT-scan of DLS Spine

Please consult a neurosurgeon in person for further examinations and follow-up.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

If you need any clarification / have doubts / have additional questions / have follow-up questions, then please do not hesitate in asking again. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Let me know if I can assist you further.

-oOo-

PS 1 : After all your doubts have been cleared, kindly (a) Close this Question (b) Rate my Replies and (c) Give your Feedback.

PS 2 : In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly in HealthCareMagic at http://bit.ly/askdrbruno

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas

Neurologist, Surgical