question-icon

What causes hypothyroidism?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016
Question: What causes hypo thyroid condition? Is it genetic?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (54 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
there is a genetic basis is some types/causes of hypothyroidism

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different causes/types of hypothyroidism.

The thyroid hormones are made in the thyroid gland but this gland is affected by other glands in the brain.
Hypothyroidism can be due to problems with the thyroid gland itself or may be related to the other glands in the brain.

Genetics do play a role in the autoimmune (body attacking itself) cause of hypothyroidism and also the type that occurs in children

If you have autoimmune hypothyroidism , then it is possible that there is a genetic part to it

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James