What causes hypo-tension, tachycardia, decreased oxygen saturation in a diabetic?
I'm wondering what sort of pathophysiological issues would cause hypotension (90/50), tachycardia (120bpm), decreased oxygen saturation (90% on 2L/min), resps 22 and 5/10 pain that is exacerbated by deep breaths and movement in a 60 year old woman that is about 3 hour post Hartmann's procedure for ruptured diverticulum. She is type 2 diabetic, has an IDC insitu draining 15ml/hour and an NGT insitu on free drainage.
Clinical assessment and some tests required.
Hi XXXX! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.
The parameters you have mentioned like a hypotension and tacchycardia and decreased oxygen saturation could most likely in this case be due to developing shock, which could be due to infection or secondly due to loss of blood volume during the surgery or the post operative period. History of known diabetes also predisposes to the infection. If I were your doctor, after excluding any chances of persistent blood loss, I would advise the patient with a broad spectrum antibiotic, adequate hydration, continue with the NG aspiration, and get some investigations like a blood culture apart from other rouine blood tests like blood sugar estimation.
Apart from all these tests, I would also do a clinical assessment of your patient which the most important aspect before deciding on the treatment.
I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your patient's problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts.
Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. I wish you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Smoking oxygen saturation
- What causes discomfort after taking tachycardia
- What causes sinus tachycardia
- What causes severe dehydration and tachycardia with chest pain
- I have hypo tension with tachycardia
- What could cause inappropriate sinus tachycardia
- What causes inappropriate sinus tachycardia
- What health problems cause tachycardia
- Heart problems and oxygen saturation
- Tachycardia causes
- Having COPD. Tired and weak. Medical cure for this?
- Could not remember words and password as though everything is erased...
- Having abdominal pain. Colonoscopy and ultrasound were normal. Endoscopy...
- Itching on foreskin and soreness of glans. Using canesten ointment. Any...
- Bloating and abdominal discomfort due to bowel section. Taking coloxyl,...
- Itching in anus and rash on buttocks. Suggest treatment
- Have constant headache and diagnosed with allergies. Took allegra. Pain...
- What is the treatment for lower abdominal pain?
- Having diarrhea and passes ball segments. What could be this?
- Taking antibiotics for typhoid and still having fever. Is the antibiotic...