• question-icon

What causes hypertension while on Losartan?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi, Lately if I exercise or just chase my grandkids around, my heart feels funny and I get very dizzy (ears ring, people are talking but you cant really hear them, feels like I'm going to pass out). I have high blood pressure and take Losartan at night. I also take Xyxal and nasocort for allergies (bid), Synthroid QD, Pristiq at night. Any thoughts about why this is happening?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your heart is not poming enough blood to brain while you are at effort.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

The fact that this symptoms happens while you are running and the fact that you have high blood pressure, suggests that this might be a heart problem.
A physical exam may reveal what is the problem. So I would suggest a visit with a local cardiologist who can examine you.
Also, you may need an ECG and a stress test. Both these exams will determine if your heart is having trouble of pomping enough blood to the brain while at rest and in effort.
Before going to the doctor I would suggest also that you measure your blood pressure and keep a record of the values. Sometimes, be cause of these heart problem can be the not controlled blood pressure, and other times it can be the plaques that the lipids have formed in the arteries that supply the heart with blood or other arteries.

Hope this is helpful and makes sense.
Let me know if you need more questions or concerns about this issue.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 4 hours later
I've had several more episodes today and was able to check my blood pressure during them. They were: 177/99 and 159/102. Pulse was 80 (normal is 65-70).
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your blood pressure is high.

Detailed Answer:

Your pulse is normal. The normal values are 60-100/min.

Your blood pressure is high. That means that it is not controlled well. That might be the cause to decompensate and damage the heart.

So that confirms what I was thinking in my previous answer.

Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Klarida Papaqako