What causes hypertension after a spider bite?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Infections
Question: I recently was bitten by venamous spider...a Doctor checked my bp and it was 140 over 90. That was 3 weeks ago. So I had my bp checked again today now it is 155 /95...l although my Heart beat is only 61/m. I have no history of heart disease or taking medication...I am 66 years old. I exercise regularly...
Do you think the spider bite continues to affect me?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NO!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about spider bite. It is not possible that the spider bite is still affecting you. However, if you are scared about it and get anxious, it might explain why the blood pressure is higher than expected. Right now, I will suggest that you go ahead and get your blood pressure controlled weekly. If the values remain high, there might be need to follow up and manage accordingly with the options of hypertension fully considered. Spider bites really don't cause hypertension or elevated blood pressures.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask of more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 days later
Yes and no...when i went into emergency at Sinai hospital 4 doctors could not give me a good diagnoses. They thought I had everything from sickle cell anemia to Chicken pox to HIV etc.
What i have found that the reason why my skin color changed to dark purple was necrosis venom from the brown recluse spider killing my red blood cell. Which in turn probably resulted in high blood pressure and symptoms of anemia.
After 3 weeks not one single doctor at the hospital has followed thru to see if i died or got worse.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 41 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can I see images of the skin changes?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up precision.

It is difficult to tell exactly what happened and doctors could give a precise diagnosis. I am so sorry for that but maybe they didn't just get all the elements to talk with certainty about what is going on.

Can you kindly upload an image of the skin changes for me to review? This will be helpful to tell whether this resembles blood related discoloration or not.

To upload an image, click on the upload icon to the right of your dashboard and follow the onscreen instructions. You may also send it directly to customer service at YYYY@YYYY and request that it should be uploaded to your query.

I hope to hear from you and promise to respond promptly. Until next, I wish you well.