What causes hypersensitivity after using Halcion and Amoxicillian?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I had oral sedation for dental surgery 4 days ago. One day later I ended up with itchy target/iris blisters. I was sedated with Halcion and took Amoxicillian at time of dental implant. I have a sulpha allergy, am a herpetic, am 75, and am a recovering alcholic, all which might cause a hypersensitivity. Which drug did I react to, the Halcion or the Amoxicillian?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Amoxicillin is much more likely to be the cause here

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms,

Allergic reaction could have occurred to either of the drug. Keeping in view your history of allergic history to sulpha drug, the much more likely cause is reaction to Amoxicillin.

Stopping the offending drug will reverse the reaction . Oral anti-histamine like Cetirizine 10 mg once daily will be helpful in reducing the symptoms.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you

Tale Care

Best Regards
Dr Shobha Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee