• question-icon

What causes hyper salivation while suffering from cold?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have a problem since childhood that when ever i get cold my mouth start hyper-salivation and it is so bad even i can sleep with that what should i do now ???
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal physiological responses

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM,

I have gone through your query.
Hyper salivation just before, during or after cold is normal physiological responses. Your nostrils, sinuses and oropharyngial mucosa are inflammed, it is responsible for this hyper salivation.

Treatment of cold or flu will address your problem. I would suggest you, of you get slightest hint that you are going to get cold, go for conservative line of management, you go for a steam inhalation with few drops of Eucalyptus oil in it, for two to three times a day.

Nasal decongestant like XYLOMETAZOLINE will be helpful for 2-3 days. Gargling with warm salt water will be beneficial.

I would suggest you to follow this measures, you will be fine.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Harish Naik