What causes hydrosalpinx?

Dr. Nidhi Setia

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor, I went to the hospital to get my tube checked because I have been trying to have a baby for some time now. I have a son which I had in 2011, then a miscarries in 2013. since then have not had another baby. so the doctor,s result after HSG is ,the appear to be some filling of the fallopian tube on the right and there is some spillage of contract to the peritoneal cavity noted on the right as well. Normal appearance of the right fallopian tube is not well-defined . The tube may in fact be abnormal.|The left tube was never seen filled with contrast and is presumable occluded. There is some leakage of contrast from the endometrial cavity to the uterine interstitium,draining by uterine veins.
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Repeat HSG, hormonal evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.
Thanks for asking a direct query here.

I have gone through your details.

First, I doubt the accuracy of the HSG report.
The tubes should not be abnormal as you have conceived twice in past.

Spillage of contrast on right side suggest that right fallopian tube is patent.

The normal appearance if tubes is not well defined. It can be due to spasms also.

I would recommend a repeat HSG after taking antispasmodic drugs.

There is also some leaking of contrast into uterine interstitium.
Have you undergone any procedures like dilatation and curettage?
Did you have any uterine/pelvic infections?

As you want to conceive again, are the causes of miscarriage determined? Hormonal evaluation like thyroid, LH, FSH, Prolactin?

To sum up, I would suggest a repeat HSG and hormonal evaluation for you.

Kindly discuss this with your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask further.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Nidhi Setia 6 hours later
Hi Dr, so if I have been pregnant before,it means the tube cannot be blocked?. what about if there was an infection during the second miscarries ,could it be the caused of the blocked tube? what about the filling in the tube. Please explain well about spams
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeat HSG with antispasmodic drugs.

Detailed Answer:
The chances of tubal blockage in people who have conceived previously, is very less.
Tubal blockage suggest primary infertility.

Infection can cause miscarriage as well as tubal block. But then there are other symptoms as well like vaginal discharge or leaking, abdominal pain.

When a XXXXXXX is injected in the uterus, it enters fallopian tube through uterine end and spills in the peritoneal cavity (through the abdominal end). This is seen as XXXXXXX filling in the tube and spillage suggest no blockade.

Spasm may be due to pain in abdomen while doing the HSG/injecting the XXXXXXX Or there may be a mucus plug due to local secretions which can cause temporary block. So, antispasmodic drug is given prior to procedure.

Thus, I would suggest you to go for repeat HSG with antispasmodic drugs.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nidhi Setia 46 minutes later
Dr Doctor, Thanks for that. so you suggest I repeat the test again? what is a spasm?
Brief Answer:
Yes go for repeat HSG.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, I would suggest byou to repeat the test.

A spasm is a painful muscular contraction.

Sorry that I kept you waiting for sometime
I wish you well.
Thanks