What causes hunger pains after eating?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been experiencing hunger pang pains which often come and go, over the last three to four weeks. It started off just in the mornings after breakfast. But having changed my breakfast diet I now find I get them after dinner instead. The pain sometimes feels like I want to be sick. Sometimes the pain seems like I want to eat more. And usually if I eat a rich tea biscuits or two it gradually gets better. But often I have noticed it starts almost exactly two hours after eating
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Duodenal ulcer/duodenitis to rule out by upper endoscopy...

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I understand your concern.

Your say to be experiencing hunger pains exactly two hours after eating. This is indicating duodenal ulcer or duodenitis.
As this has been occurring often during the last 3-4 weeks, I highly recommend to consult with a gastroenterologist and run upper endoscopy to determine the right diagnosis.

For the moment, I can advise as following:
- continue with changes in your eating habits
- avoid spicy/oily/fried foods; and any other food that makes you feel hunger again
- take antacids after meals
- avoid going to bed immediately after eating
- eat often, small portions and chew up slowly
- have your dinner at least 4 hours before going to bed

Hope this helps.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 11 hours later
Thank you Dr. However it is extremely difficult to get an apt. at my local GP these days. Is there a way around this or any other advice as to how i could get looked at sooner rather than later?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advised below..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

OK then, start taking antacids as advised earlier, take over the counter omeprazole 20 mg early in the morning and follow the changes in your lifestyle and dietary habits as advised earlier.

When you will be able to see your doctor or gastroenterologist, discuss further and run upper endoscopy.

Otherwise, if heavy pain and unbearable burning, go to ER for immediate evaluation and treatment.

Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng