Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

What causes hollow sound while tapping the forehead?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Geriatrics Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2138 Questions
In the last two days, if I tap my forehead or clack my teeth together it sounds hollow rather than the sharp sound I expect and an used to.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More details necessary.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Looking at the present symptoms, I can comment as follows:
1. Bones in the skull are usually called as air bones or hollow bones (reason our skull is much lighter). If there is even mild fluid accumulations, it will feel heavy and sound dull and different.

2. If you have cold or increased nasal discharge possible due to allergy, this leads to increased mucus secretion and it could cause a different sound.

3. Try steam inhalation, twice a day. It should make you feel better and you can take antihistamines.

Based in the limited history, these are the suggestions.
If you have any other symptoms, do specify.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again
Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor