What causes hollow sound while tapping the forehead?

Excellent

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
In the last two days, if I tap my forehead or clack my teeth together it sounds hollow rather than the sharp sound I expect and an used to.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More details necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Looking at the present symptoms, I can comment as follows:
1. Bones in the skull are usually called as air bones or hollow bones (reason our skull is much lighter). If there is even mild fluid accumulations, it will feel heavy and sound dull and different.

2. If you have cold or increased nasal discharge possible due to allergy, this leads to increased mucus secretion and it could cause a different sound.

3. Try steam inhalation, twice a day. It should make you feel better and you can take antihistamines.

Based in the limited history, these are the suggestions.
If you have any other symptoms, do specify.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again
Dr. Prakash HM