What causes hole in the eardrum?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 26 Apr 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a hole in my eardrum with no pain. I have used drops to get rid of the infection. I will see the doctor in 2 weeks again. I can' only hear when someone is next to my ear. I don't know how big the hole is as the doctor couldn't see because of the infection. I can hear some with a amplifier & the sound is not real clear. I am really down as I can't hear out of my other ear, which had mastoid when I was 10 years old. I am now 77 years old. Does it sound like it can be repairable?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Chronic ear infection with hearing loss. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Based on your history I suspect you to have a chronic ear infections causing ear drum hole.now its active infection with lot of pus oozing out of ear drum. Continue treatment as advised by your doctor. Your reduced hearing is because of : 1. Whole in the ear drum. 2.weakness of hearing nerve either age related weakness or because of ear infection. 3.Erosion of the middle ear bones. If I were your treating doctor would have advised to get a audiometry test done. Treatment: 1. To close the ear drum hole. 2. to give hearing aid if you have nerve weakness. Same treatment can be done for other ear also if same problem is present. Hope, I answered your query. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 6 hours later
The infection was caused by a comb that went into my ear when I lost my balance. My question is based on my symptoms now & if you feel I will be a candidate for ear surgery or at my age if the eardrum will grow back or if I can use hearing aids. I have vertigo & the doctor felt it would go away when the infection clears up. I am still very dizzy when I get up from lying down. The accident happened 3/25 & the ear specialist said I needed a referral & he couldn’t see me until 3/31. My next apt isn’t until 4/16 & my nerves are really shot & I need some reassurance that they can do something for me. I can hear some with the amplifier & without the amplifier someone has to speak directly in my ear…
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 2 hours later
Brief Answer: hi, surgery followed by hearing aid. Detailed Answer: Hi sir, in my opinion you are definitely a candidate for surgery. If surgery is not done then you cannot tolerate the hearing aid with a hole in the ear.at least to use the hearing aid you need to get your ear drum hole closed. Next, regarding your dizziness, its because of infection spreading to your inner ear. Once infection reduces , dizzy feeling will reduce. Secondly, dizziness can also be because of ear drum hole. So once infection reduces, you can get surgery done, and can use hearing aid.hope I have answered your questions. Thanks. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D