What causes hoarseness in voice?

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 23 Jun 2014 in Living Healthy
Question: Hi. I have a number of symptoms that have occurred over the past 1 to 2 years. Fairly frequent hoarseness, but I have worked in radio for nearly 40 years and specialized in character voices that are strenuous. I have a 2 or 3 year battle going on with facial and scalp psoriasis. I have some small amount of wheezing, but minor. I have an intermittent cough but no production. It is usually dry. Within the last year or even 6 months I seem to have clay colored stools. Also some bowel incontinence where urgency is suddenly present.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please meet your ent doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Please meet your ent doctor as i think you need to get your larynx/voice box examined as you may be having a mass or swelling in it.

There can be many reasons for this , including your professional use of voice and acid reflux from the stomach , especially with the medications which you are taking.

You will need some medications , steam inhalation 2-3 times a day and voice training by a speech therapist to help you.

The dry cough is likely to be due to the swelling in the voice box and will subside once you take the medications.

Please dont worry , you will be fine!!

Thanks