What causes hoarse voice, cough and throat irritation when diagnosed with a nodule in the thyroid?
About your concern:
Hello.and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
When a nodule in thyroid is detected , there are 2 concerns ; Does the nodule produce too much hormones and cause hyperthyroidism? Is the nodule malignant?
So an ultrasound of the thyroid gland and the thyroid function ( TSH, ft4 and ft3)are needed.
If there are doubtful characteristics in ultrasound a citology ( FNA) should be done to rule out malignancy.
If the thyroid function is altered ( hypo/ hyper thyroidism is confirmed) than the symptoms you described are due to thyroid and heart complications may be caused.
So you need the above exams to give you further information about the nodule and the thyroid function.
Will be a pleasure to help you further.
About thyroid function;
The radiological examinations give information regarding to thyroid structure.
The thyroid function is checked by blood tests.
If the thyroid results to be over active (hyperthyroidism), than it may cause tachycardia and heart failure if left untreated for many years or if diagnosed too late.
The symptoms you described are suggestive for underactive thyroid ( hypothyroidism).
It can cause high lipid profile that can cause coronary arteriosclerosis.
So only radiological exams are not enough to valuate the thyroid pathologies.
TSH, FT4 and FT3 and an ultrasound is recommended for further information.
About compressive symptoms;
Yes, both benign and malignant nodules can cause compressive symptoms, but 1 cm is too small. We usually find these symptoms in large nodules (over 3 cm).
Hoarseness is a symptom of laryngeal nerve involvement in malignant nodules but very rarely a malignant nodule can be only 1 cm and has caused involvement of laryngeal nerve.
So, the cough and hoarseness can hardly be due to this nodule.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Fumes causing throat irritation
- Throat irritation and cough
- Does costochondritis cause throat irritation
- Lower throat irritation causes
- Chapati cause throat irritation
- Chronic throat irritation causes
- Constant throat irritation causes
- Throat irritation causes
- Sweets cause throat irritation
- Minor throat irritation causes
- What causes blurred vision, digestive issues and dizziness when...
- What causes weight gain and heat intolerance while on Synthroid,...
- Suggest treatment for weight gain when diagnosed with adrenal fatigue
- What causes hyperthyroidism?
- What are the side effects of long term intake of Aspirin?
- What do anxiety and palpitations and TSH level of 3.0 indicate?
- Suggest the ideal dosage for vitamin D supplement
- What causes increased weight gain with abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for insomnia and dizziness in a hypertensive person
- What are the possible effects of switching from Humalog to Novolog?