• question-icon

What causes hives while on Amoxicillin?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: onset of hives 7 days into amoxicillin. no other allergic symptoms. can this be an allergic reaction? should medicine be stopped?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be an allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:

it could be an allergic reaction but not necessarily to amoxicillin. Infections are a common cause of urticarial skin lesions. Delayed onset allergies usually present 48-72 hours after the inciting event. The cause can be investigated by an allergist. Regarding treatment the antihistamine (like the one you've used) is usually sufficient.

7 days later is a long time for a delayed-onset type of reaction, although amoxicillin may cause an allergic reaction even if it has been used without problems in the past.

The cause is not important right now. Treatment is more important. An allergist may investigate the cause later. Regarding the use of amoxicillin, you should contact your doctor for an alternative, depending on your condition and the particular infection you're facing. Continuing amoxicillin is not recommended unless there's no other alternative...

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis