What causes hives on the body while on Cephalexin, Sudafed and Advil?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have been taking Cephalexin 500 mg for 3 1/2 days for an upper respiratory infection. I have also been taking Sudafed and Advil, although none since early this afternoon. About an hour ago, I started breaking out in hives on my torso and upper arms. Could this be a drug reaction? I am having no breathing difficulty. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of viral skin hives is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern.
Most common cause for upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) is viral infection.
And skin lesions are common in viral infection.
So possibility of viral skin hives is more in your case. Possibility of drug reaction is less likely.
So drink plenty of fluids orally and keep yourself hydrated.
Take antihistamine drug like levocetrizine or fexofenadine.
You can also apply steroid containing cream on hives.
Don't worry, you will be alright with all these.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana