What causes hives on back and shoulder?

Posted on Thu, 18 Dec 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My father, age 50, has a staph infection on his right ankle on the outside and it has moved through his ankle to the inner side. he saw our PCP 2 weeks ago and was diagnosed and given 800mg amoxicillian it lasted a week and symptoms sudsibed (he was able to walk more and the dead areas were getting smaller) it then became reddish and purple and swollen again almost worse than before. the doctor called in another prescription approximately a week ago and he has been taking it with some improvements. tonight how ever he woke up and his upper back, left shoulder and arm were covered in hives. is this related and what should we do going forward. he is supposed to go to the PCP tomorrow and it going to take benadryl and put calamine lotion on for now.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A probable cutaneous drug reaction?.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir.

I understand your concern.

The hives on the back and shoulder probably reflect a delayed form of cutaneous drug reaction to the ingested antibiotic.

The cellulitis of the right ankle has improved well.

Drugs like antihistamines should be started to control the hives.

In your case the antibiotic needs a cessation after consultation with your physician.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Suresh Heijebu