What causes high vitamin D levels in blood?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 18 Nov 2014 in Vitamins
Question: I have a Vitamin D 1,25 Dihydroxy of 133 what are the concerns?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can cause high calcium

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The normal range of vitamin d can vary slightly from one lab to the next but experts have found that the optimal range of vitamin d for preventative health (preventing health conditions) is 90 to 100 mmol/l or using different units, 35 to 40 ng/ml.
The values quoted above are not the normal ranges but the range that have been found to help prevent diseases associated with low vitamin d.

Your level of 133 may have used the units mmol/l.

Higher than normal levels of vitamin d may be associated with high calcium in some persons.
This is the main potential complication. It may not occur with you but your doctor may consider checking your calcium level.

High calcium can be associated with some or all of the following: fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, tinnitus, muscle weakness, constipation, excess thirst, high blood pressure, kidney stones

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions