Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

191 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes high vitamin D level?

Answered by
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani


Practicing since :2008

Answered : 2366 Questions

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello,
I ask a question about the blood level vitamin d being extremely high at 1342 the normal range is 200-900 it is very rare to have this level it can be related to problems with the liver. What should I do? Any internist can answer the question since I have not had a response yet from gastrologist.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that it can either result from excessive intake of vitamin D in the form of supplememts as it is a fat soluble vitamin and thus its excretion is not as good as other water soluble vitamins.

Next think to get tested is Serum parathyroid hormone (PTH ) level and calcium levels as pararthyroid adenomas present with such manifestation . You should consult an endocrinologist for the same if the levels are abnormal . Check and stop any kind of supplement that you may be taking having calcium or vitamin D .

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Parathyroid hormone

doctor1 MD

I am 34 yrs female . i am having high levelof parathyroid hormone level at 180. and my clacium is at level 11. i have recurrent kidney stones and ostopeia. all my scans are negative. no tumor could be found. i have started having joints pains. can u suggest me the treatment.

doctor1 MD

severe osteoporosis , seeing Endocrinologist at Univ of XXXXXXX due to pelvic fracture , broken foot, re-fracture of pelvis, all within one year and without accident or injury . I would like your opinion of my blood test results - osteocalcin...

doctor1 MD

My fingers tongue feet and lips are numb. Just spent 4 days in bed with seems to be the flu

doctor1 MD

if i have a little bit appetite & plus low blood pressure, what kind of symptoms is that?

doctor1 MD

My doctor has scheduled an ultrasound and sestamibi scan of my parathyroid due to high calcium levels first one at 11.2, the second at 10.6 and the third at 10.7. PTH levels first at 117 second at 145. But my vitamin D3 level seems to be of normal range of 40. I am a 53 year old woman and was wondering if the Vitamin D3 level has any bearing on the primary hyperparathyroidism? After all tests are conducted including the 24 hour urine test, I am hoping that i will be scheduled for surgery to get rid of the abnormal parathyroid to get these number back to normal. I am really concerned with any bone loss in future years and as I also have ulcerative colitis I have been on and off of hydrocortisone enemas to retrieve remission, so I know they are not good for the bone loss if any.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am a 38 year old female, 160cm tall and 83kilo. My doctor prescribed duramine to me to loose weight. However I forgot to mention that my specialist found I have high parathyroid hormones with normal calcium and low vitamin D. I am taking vitamin D daily for 6 weeks to see if it lowers my parathyroid hormone levels , will Duramine interfere with this hormone as I have to repeat blood test in a few weeks but I am desperate to start taking duramine to loosevweight. Please help Monica

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor i am male 39 yrs old from india . 1 week before i found my ultrasound scan abdomen shows medullay nephrocalcinos, and serum calcium level 8.2 and PTH 436 , vitamin D lelvel 13 , frequent urination every 5-10 mints need to go washroom but my all urine related including PSA test normal. HBA1c is 6 what it shows these all above pls .