What causes high vitamin D level?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello,
I ask a question about the blood level vitamin d being extremely high at 1342 the normal range is 200-900 it is very rare to have this level it can be related to problems with the liver. What should I do? Any internist can answer the question since I have not had a response yet from gastrologist.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that it can either result from excessive intake of vitamin D in the form of supplememts as it is a fat soluble vitamin and thus its excretion is not as good as other water soluble vitamins.

Next think to get tested is Serum parathyroid hormone (PTH ) level and calcium levels as pararthyroid adenomas present with such manifestation . You should consult an endocrinologist for the same if the levels are abnormal . Check and stop any kind of supplement that you may be taking having calcium or vitamin D .

Dr. Shruti