What causes high urea nitrogen levels?

Question
I had non-hodgkins lymphoma cancer in 2009. During my last blood test, I had high readings in my Glucose (110) and Blood Urea Nitrogen of (37). What do I need to do to lower these readings?
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need no aggressive measures!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these high numbers and all the inconveniences this must have caused you.

Looking closely at these numbers. your blood glucose of 110 is normal and needs no further aggressive medical attention. Values of greater than 126 on fasting as suggestive of diabetes and this is simply not the case here.

Your BUN is higher than the normal upper limit of 18. However, a comprehensive evaluation of the kidney functions including serum creatinine levels wiith GFR estimations would give a better understanding of this problem. I will suggest that you get this test repeated and a serum creatinine level done as well so that we can understand what the exact functional state of your kidneys is.

In all, there is no major red flag to panic about now. Control these tests and get a comprehensive renal evaluation so that we can have enough information to act on.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.